INNOVATIONS20-30 students total / 3-5 students per 2 of us
same students 2 wks in a row?
meetings at Innovations - anyone want to set up dates/times for these?
art making with students (photo, painting, digital, etc.)
what areas are the students interested in?
day one: [12:30-3:30]12:30-2 > museum visit
12:30 intro and split into small groups
2:00 meet at visitor center and walk to classroom
2:15-3 > sketching and writing time
3-3:30 > discussion in small groups
day two: [12:30-3:30]12:30-1:30 > break into groups (same groups if the students are returning)
**facilitators take groups to artwork in AIC - what inspires you and what kind of art do you create?
1:45-3 > break into groups according to art making interests and create
3-3:30 > share and discuss artwork/experiences
MEETING WITH MF: [things to think about]
- this group of students would be compromised of 20-30 students in total breaking into smaller groups that would be compromised of 3-5 students per 2 MAAE/MFA students
- we would like to have the same group of students two weeks in a row so that we are able to have cohesive and progressive learning experiences with innovations students
- commitment to youth and to their education, why would we choose Innovations?
- resources, AIC and educators/artists who are qualified, spaces, art supplies, skills
- contribute something of themselves to the artwork in AIC, how do various resources inspire your own creativity?
- art activities that would delve deeper into exploration of materials and other artists' work
- having a dialogue with MAAE/MFA students would allow students an environment that would not be teaching to the students but an group exploration of AIC artwork, what we are all interested in (in regards to media and representation), and how we can use those experiences to create individual artworks
- censorship? what are the school's rules and how can we adapt those rules to our ideas of censorship
LETTER TO MF & INNOVATIONS:
Please print if you plan on attending the meeting/visit to Innovations to be sure that we have one to give to MF. (for some reason I can't add a file on here so I had to copy and paste)
Dear Ms. Flemming,
The School of the Art Institute’s Museum as Critical Curriculum class is writing to you to express our interest in working with the students at Innovations High School. Our class is compromised of Masters degree candidates in both the Art Education program and the Fine Arts program. Although we all have experience in different educational environments and art media, we all share the passion of reaching students in a profound way.
Our interest in Innovations reaches beyond our instructor’s connections. We have examined the school’s website and find that the students are genuinely interested in learning and reaching past what is expected of them in order to experience subject matter on a deeper level. We are also extremely excited to see that Innovations takes a holistic approach to learning by incorporating the arts into general education courses. We believe that this is an important and rewarding learning experience for students of all ages and grade levels.
By participating in this two week event students will, not only be able to experience The Art Institute of Chicago but, have a dialogue with MAAE and MFA students. This would allow your students to be part of a learning experience that would focus on group exploration of artwork and art media, inspiration, and art making activities. Rather than teaching to the students we would like to be involved conversations and learning experiences with the students so that we may learn from each other.
The primary goal of our working with Innovations students would be to expose these students to a wide variety of artwork within The Art Institute of Chicago, discuss how one can be inspired by outside resources, and create individual or group artworks based on what students have experienced in the museum. Each event will end in a discussion within small groups so that students are able to, not only take away a finished piece of their own artwork, but be proud of what they have made and share a piece of their life experiences with their peers and educators.
We hope that Innovations will move forward with us in this exciting project so that we may all share a significant learning experience within the arts. Our class looks forward to discussing ways in which we can create an innovative event and build a lasting relationship with Innovations High School.
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Museum as Critical Curriculum Class